Saturday, June 20, 2009

Appetizer Issues

I am planning a party for my company's 50th Anniversary later this summer. This is a $2 billion company (that's sales, not profit) and the CEO wants the party to be "nice." By nice he means, lots of drinks, food and good service. It will be for our supplier executives, local politicians and other "strategic relationships."
My boss thinks that having all passed hors d'oeuvres screams classy and upscale. While I agree that it definitely lends itself to an exclusive feel, I think SOME stationed appetizers are called for in any event, for the following reasons:

1) It adds to the atmosphere. Having people serve your guests is fabulous, yes. But an fruit & cheese display or a crudite are inexpensive ways to make food look bountiful and elaborate.

2) Stationed hors d'oeuvres give your guests the opportunity to graze freely. They don't have to wait for a server to make their way around with food still on the tray. They can take as much food as they want without feeling like they're being monitored (which could be good or bad depending on your guests!).

3) Have you ever chased down a server because you had something wonderful and wanted more? I am not ashamed to say that I have.

4) Food that is better presented at a station: carving stations, mashed potato bars, hand-rolled sushi stations, etc. (OK - seriously, have you ever been through a mashed potato bar?! Hea-ven.)

5) You don't have to use a cocktail napkin as a plate.

If I don't get my way, I'll certainly make it work. But there will be trouble if anyone complains that they didn't get enough food.

No comments:

Post a Comment