Monday, March 9, 2009

A Stucky Situation

My husband, Sparky, and I have two great dogs that make up our small fam. One is a Boston Terrier named Max and the other is Flynn, a German Shorthair Pointer. Max came from Mid-America Boston Terrier Rescue (http://www.adoptaboston.com/) and Flynn from Heartland Humane Society (http://www.heartlandhumanesociety.org/). Max is full of personality and always wants to be the center of everyone's attention and will bark to make it happen. Flynn is more on the shy side but is very loving and has the sweetest, most understanding eyes you will ever see.

One morning last week, while I was getting ready for work, I heard some odd noises from downstairs. Max snored rather loudly at one point and I heard him rustling around quite a bit.
There was a thud which I thought came from the garbage trucks picking up trashcans. No barking or whining ensued so I thought everything was OK.
As I was finishing my morning make-up routine, I heard an weird bark/yelp that obviously came from one of the dogs. I went to check it out. They both looked at me like everything was normal. Typically Max gets up and runs over to me when I come downstairs, but he didn’t this time. I couldn’t see much of him because he was on the floor between our coffee table and couch. Sparky's fleece was also on the floor.
I realized that the thud I heard had been Max falling off the couch. Since he didn’t come over to me; I was afraid that he was hurt. I walked over to check him out and realized that he couldn’t move at all. He was stuck in the sleeve of Sparky's coat!!!! Only his head and one leg had found their way out of the armhole.


It was pretty tight around him and he was definitely uncomfortable. Being the tough little guy he is though - he didn't make a peep. You could even say he was acting like nothing was wrong. I worked his other front leg out (the photo was taken after this). That's when he got a little squirmy and excited. The sleeve was too tight around him to keep pushing him through it.

Insert irrational moment of panic here.

"How did he do this? How disappointed will Sparky be if I have to cut open the sleeve of his fleece? Thank goodness I was home when this happened! What if I can't get him out?!!"
After struggling with the fleece briefly (it's tough to find the armhole opening with a squirming dog stuck inside the sleeve) I began to gather the sleeve. I was able to turn the sleeve inside out, pull it over Max and back him out of it.

It took a few minutes but I got lots of kisses afterwards. He was a little hesitant before crawling under any covers, but he's starting to get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment